As part of our dedication to technology transfer, research from our U.S. Department of Transportation University Transportation Centers has successfully produced multiple spin-off companies. Leadership within our UTCs has worked closely with faculty to identify possible commercialization opportunities and has helped to connect them with resources to assist in their efforts.
Recent CMU UTC spin-off companies that have created over 100 jobs in Pittsburgh:
- Ottomatika: AV company purchased by Delphi and then spun off into Motional
- Roadbotics: Acquired by Michelin, low-cost road surface monitoring
- Rapid Flow Technologies: Acquired by Miovision, world’s first decentralized adaptive traffic signals
- Virtual Traffic Lights: Using connected vehicle technology
- Phlux Technologies: Enabling advanced capabilities in robotics and automation
- TraffiQure Technologies: Applying AI to traffic management