The Safety21 University Transportation Center Deployment Partner Consortium Symposium kicked off with a welcome from Carnegie Mellon University Vice-President of Research Theresa Mayer, followed by Safety21 UTC Director Raj Rajkumar, who provided a welcome and an overview of the goals and activities of the Safety21 National University Transportation Center.
Putting our research, development and deployment approach into action – the annual deployment partner symposium provides an opportunity for interaction and discussion among researchers, students and deployment partners. Over 150 people attended the symposium and engaged in the day’s events.
The Symposium’s keynote speaker was Caesar Singh, Director, University Transportation Centers (UTC) Grants Program, U.S. Department of Transportation, who highlighted the future of the UTC program.
- Peter Adriaens, Professor of Engineering and Entrepreneurship, University of Michigan with Courtesy Appointment Cities + Mobility + Built Environment focused on Smart Infrastructure Finance
- Kendra Davenport, President and CEO, Easter Seals
- Corey Harper, Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- Jim Katsafanas, VP/ National Connected and Automated Vehicle Technology Director, Michael Baker International
The Symposium’s second panel highlighted Safe Deployment of AV in Public Realm (Going Beyond Test Tracks). The panel was moderated by Lorraine Martin, President & CEO of the National Safety Council and featured:
- Bob Kreeb, Director, Office of Analysis, Research and Technology, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Taylor Manahan, Director, Advanced Mobility, Transportation Research Center
- Chris Mullen, Senior Director, Organizational Safety, Aurora
- Tim White, Senior Vice-President, Business Development and Strategy, Regional Industrial Development Corporation (RIDC)
The event wrapped up with the UTC Research/Education Showcase and Networking Reception, which featured 27 displays that can be found here.
View all photos from the event here.